Ingredients: (Makes 1 or 2 cakes)
- 4 cups Dried Fruit
- ¾ cup Honey
- 1 cup Water
- 200 gms Butter
- 1 tsp Bicarb of Soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Cloves
- 1 Large or 2 Small Eggs
- 1 cup Wholemeal Flour
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F) or Gas mark 3.
- Place the first eight ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer with the lid on. Simmer 5 minutes. Allow to cool. (This step can be carried out in the microwave on high for 3-4mins).
- Allow to cool.
- Beat the egg.
- Sift the flours and baking powder.
- Stir the egg and flour into the fruit mixture.
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with greased paper, pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 75 to 90 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool cake in 10 – 15 mins in the tin, turn out onto a cake wire and allow to cool.
Ovens vary. Check that the cake does not burn on the outside. Try baking in two 20cm x 10cm or as muffins. (Based on a recipe from "Simple Foods for the Pack" (Axcell, Cooke, Kinmont.)